Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Good work, MBTA

A few days ago, I took a ride on the MBTA Blue Line, and I must say, it's changed a lot since I last rode it, and mostly for the better. The collapsing platform at Wood Island is gone, replaced by a shiny new rebuilt one. And, at least on the day when I was there, all the trains were the new ones, with six cars rather than four. The new trains are, on the whole, very good. The ride is fast, comfortable, and relatively quiet, and the interiors are roomy. The only complaints I have are that the seats are hard, and that the drivers' cabs seem rather large, which adds up to a lot of wasted space in a six-car train with very short cars. But that aside, these trains are definitely an improvement on what came before, and are some of the best new rapid transit trains that I've seen.

No comments: